Monday, June 15, 2009

Once Upon A Time IV

My First Elevator Experience
If I'm not mistaken, it was in 1975. I was helping out my mother in her stall bussiness. Her stall was directly in front of Johor Bahru Railway Station. She opened her stall from 5pm untill 11pm everyday.
She sells "nasi malaysia" or "nasi campur" that consist of plain white rice with curries and fried vegetables. I helped out in making the drinks. Her customers need to pay less than RM3 to have a good dinner. Her main customers were lorry drivers who send goods across the couseway to Singapore. Usually after a tough journey they won't mind paying Rm10 - Rm15 for himself and his helpers after "consuming" my mother's tasty cookings.
Sometimes I would wonder around with my elder brother if the bussines was "slow". Across the busy Tun Abdul Razak Road and the railway is The Jalan Lumba Kuda flats. During that time the flats were the major landmark in Johor Bahru. Since the flats were 12 floors high, elevators or lifts were used. One day my brother and I decided to try out one of the elevators. Since we know nobody we just pressed a number on the panel. Suddenly a man asked us where were we going. We got frightened, as soon the elevator's door opened, we ran out to the stairs and went straight back to our mother's stall.

1 comment:

Sukimin said...

hehe kelakarnya citer pak din!